Why should a Christian go to his church's worship service on Sunday? Maybe your first instinct is to go to Hebrews 10:24, 25 ("And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near"). Applying it to this question it says, "Gather with your whole congregation on a regular basis," but it doesn't apply to why a person should go to Sunday morning worship every week. Realistically, in the whole Bible there's probably no explicit command to do so. I say "probably" because the fourth Commandment is to work six days and to rest one day. One of the things that the Israelites would do on the seventh day was to gather for corporate worship. So some Christians, particularly those following the Westminster Divines as their standard confession of faith (e.g., Presbyterians), would use the fourth Commandment as a justification to say that worship must be a weekly event. They're called sabbatarians. This isn't the camp I fall in. But, if sabbatarianism were true, then it would be explicit that Christians should go to corporate worship on a weekly basis. One option would be to argue from apostolic example that we should corporately worship every Sunday. For example, the church was gathered in Ephesus on Sunday for worship in Acts 20:7 ("On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them, intending to depart on the next day, and he prolonged his speech until midnight"). And Paul said that the collection was to be taken from the church in Corinth on Sunday in 1 Corinthians 16:1, 2 ("Now concerning the collection for the saints: as I directed the churches of Galatia, so you also are to do. On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up . . ."). I find this compelling, but it's difficult to argue. If this were the only way, I would use it, but I think that there's still a simpler way. Hebrews 13:17 says, "Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you." You say, then, that the leaders of the church, the elders, have said that worship on Sunday is the most important program that the church runs every week so all are required (i.e., not optional) to go. QED. Here's a possible objection. A disobedient person might say that the elders of a local church aren't his leaders. Is he a member of a visible church that other brothers might be able to bring him before if he's in sin ("tell it to the church . . . if he refuses to listen even to the church. . ." [Mt. 18:17])? If he isn't, then he's being disobedient for not being a member in covenant with a local church. If he is a member of a local church, then it's even easier to counter. "So I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as well as a partaker in the glory that is going to be revealed: shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly; not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock" (1P. 5:1-3, emphasis added). Seems pretty obvious that the elders are leaders. Another objection might be to say that leaders are only allowed to enforce biblical commands. The response to that is to go back to Hebrews 10:24, 25 and say that it is left at the elders' discretion how often the congregation needs to meet in order to not neglect meeting. This is similar to how it is at the elders' discretion how often to celebrate the Lord's Supper—whether it be weekly, monthly or quarterly (though quarterly seems too infrequently in my estimation). In summary, the argument why a person should go to the main corporate worship service their church has (not just the second service in the evening, if it's a second sermon, different from the morning sermon) is be he is told to by his elders. -- Loving theology, I am compelled to state where my foot falls concerning sabbatarianism. I'm not a sabbatarian. The only defense (two parts: 1, 2) of the position that I've ever heard was by Dr. John Frame, professor of systematic theology at Reformed Theological Seminary. I found it compelling, but not convincing enough. Colossians 2:16 says, "Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath." So, it seems clear to me that it's not wrong to not practice the Sabbath. Despite Dr. Frame saying that the Colossians passage is the most difficult challenge to his position, more compelling than the Romans one, I find Romans 14:5 even more compelling than the Colossians passage. It reads, "One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind." This comes up in a passage where Paul is talking about amoral questions (i.e., questions that aren't morally binding one way or another, see a previous blog post to expand on this). Thus, it stands to reason that neither celebrating the Sabbath is wrong, nor is keeping each day as equally important is wrong. That's why I'm not a sabbatarian.
Friday, March 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
What about it being the the ten commandment?
We as Christians do not follow the Jewish civil or ceremonial laws, but we do follow the moral ones.
Is "keeping the Sabbath holy" moral or ceremonial/civil?
I guess it makes more sense on its own that it would be ceremonial/civil, but why is it included in the ten commandments? The rest of the 10 commandments are for sure moral laws.
I totally agree with you on the Sabbath, Peter. That being said, I still try to observe it myself (but in my own New Covenant freedom sort of way).
Dave, I think it's important to recognize that we as Christians look at all ten of the ten commandments through New Covenant eyes. So anger and murder are equated, lust and adultery are equated, etc. (Matthew 5).
So I think, looking at the Sabbath through New Covenant eyes, Hebrews 4 tells us that our time with Jesus is our Sabbath rest. So we apply that as binding, not necessarily the actual day.
Dave, for the past bunch of months I've been thinking through how we know what's part of the moral law, and what's part of the ceremonial law and civil law. Right now I lean in the direction that says that if the NT doesn't reiterate it, it's not binding on Christians. The difficulty with this understanding is Matthew 5:17, 18, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished." But I don't think that it's a trump verse.
The benefit of this reading of the OT is that it doesn't have the arbitrary nature of us guessing which commands in the OT are abrogated. For example, most reformed people say that unless a law in the Mosaic covenant is explicitly abrogated in the NT, that it stands, but those same people shave their beards and wear multiple materials in their shirts, though I can't see it being abrogated at all in the NT.
Anyway, since that's the direction that I lean right now, another argument for my case is that the fourth Commandment is never reiterated in the NT.
(From your vantage point though, you should comment back, that neither is the second, but that doesn't mean I should go making images to worship.)
Jer, you're certainly right one way or another (regardless of whether I'm right or wrong on the above) that we need to look at the Sabbath as members of the New Covenant.
What do you mean by "our time with Jesus is our Sabbath rest"? Do you mean our quiet times? Hebrews 4:3 says, "we who have believed enter that rest," so I think our salvation is our Sabbath.
I didn't use Hebrews 4 in my original post because the Sabbatarians say that Hebrews 4 is referring to an eschatological rest, so until we are glorified (where I would say until we are justified) we are not in His rest, and that the Sabbath is a shadow and type of the rest to come. I don't think it flies though.
You may be right... I just read the passage again, and the first few verses sound more like salvation. But the reason for what I wrote before was based more on vv. 9-10. But I'm not entirely sure.
It's like a now and not yet tension. For example, verse 3, which I quoted above in my first comment ("we who have believed enter that rest") seems to imply a realized—a now—rest. Verses 9-11 seem to imply a not yet element to it. Verse 10 at first glance ("whoever has entered God’s rest" [emphasis added]) sounds like a now element, but it seems the author is setting up an argument by contradiction. He might be saying, "If someone had entered God's rest they would have ceased from their works, but since no one's ceased from their works, it's evidence that they haven't entered God's rest." That's why he follows with verse 11, "Let us therefore strive . . ." and striving is working.
So the passage might be a combination of now and not yet.
Anyway, I still think that the Romans 14 verse makes it clear that Christians aren't obligated to set apart one day as above the others.
Post a Comment