The following are the first ten terms of a sequence: 3, 11, 21, 33, 47, 63, 81, 101, 123, 147, . . . Same idea as the other sequences. Describe the pattern of the sequence. If you use a search engine, please don't submit it in the comments. If it hasn't been solved by Thursday, I'll give a hint. Also, if you ask a polar question (i.e., a yes/no question), I will probably answer it if it relates to this sequence. I'll post the solution on next week's sequence. Last week's sequence (0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, . . .) was the list of all integers that are the sum of a nonnegative integer plus the integer with its digits reversed. E.g., 71+17=88. E.g., 100+001=101. E.g., 2+2=4. It was not solved.
Monday, July 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Haha, did you throw in a simple one just for kicks?
The next five terms would be 173, 201, 231, 263, and 297. Correct?
To your two polar questions: Yes.
No one had left a comment on my blog in thirteen days, I can't remember the last time a sequence was solved, so I decided to give a polynomial.
I know that Tristan says that every week he graphs the sequence to see if there's any obvious pattern, so I was expecting him to solve it first.
In your case, I thought you might assume it was going to be difficult and skip the first steps.
If you promise to take a break from number sequences on your next entry, I promise I'll read it! Or you don't have to...ummm it's up to you.
I'll probably post before Monday (my sequence-posting day), in which case, I should be able to contribute something you'll read.
Post a Comment