Today I read Exodus 36 for my devotions. In it, Moses records that Bezalel is building and putting together the Tabernacle. Interestingly, all of the dimensions of the Tabernacle are recorded here as Bezalel builds and works, even though the exact same dimensions were recorded in chapter 26 where the Lord commands how His Tabernacle is to be made. So why did Moses record it again? You may say that Moses was emphasizing Bezalel and Israel’s obedience to God’s commands. They were zealous to “not turn aside to the right hand or to the left” (Dt. 5:32). But this isn’t the only place where there is repetition in Moses’ writing.
In Genesis 24 Moses wrote the story of how Rebekah, Isaac’s wife, was found. In verses 12 to 27 Moses recorded how Abraham’s servant found Rebekah. Then, in verses 42 to 48 Abraham’s servant is telling Rebekah’s family how he found her, and Moses records this as well. Moses tells the same story twice within the span of forty verses. I don’t know why.
There is lots of repetition in Moses’ writing. (As another example, read Exodus and see how many times he repeats "blue and purple and scarlet yarns, and fine twined linen." If I was writing that, I may have said something like, "the fabrics for the Tabernacle" and defined them once.) I find it intimidating. Moses is clearly employing this literary device, and I strongly suspect that it is for a reason (2Ti. 3:16), but I don’t have a clue why. I’m not a student of language arts.
Aspiring to be a pastor someday I expect to be studying in depth the Lord’s Word on a near daily basis, and preaching it on a weekly basis. What will I do when I come to these difficult parts? Will I skip them and stick to what I find easier to understand? I don’t think that I will. I am eager to see how God will provide. I wonder whether commentaries will answer the linguistic questions that I am oblivious to. I’m sure that God will make provision for His servant.
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment