Saturday, April 18, 2009

I think that it's easy to think that the healings in the Bible are always related to physical ailments. For example, Jesus healed blindness (Jn. 9:1-7), a withered hand (Lk. 6:6-10), a leper (Mk. 1:40-42), paralysis (Mt. 9:2-7), and many other conditions. As a result, it's easy (at least for me) to think that prayers for healing should be limited to physical infirmities. But consider Psalm 107:17-20:

Some were fools through their sinful ways,

and because of their iniquities suffered affliction;

they loathed any kind of food,

and they drew near to the gates of death.

Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble,

and he delivered them from their distress.

He sent out his word and healed them,

and delivered them from their destruction.

If I hadn't read it, I would have never guessed that the Bible had anything to say about anorexia. I'm happy that I read it, because it reminds me once again that God does care. Not only does God care when a person is poor, hungry, fatherless, physically broken, persecuted, etc., but He also cares when our minds aren't working properly. It gives me hope that God is willing to heal struggles with gluttony or depression or paranoia, or other psychological problems.

As a note of criticism of much of Christian counseling, this verse clearly says that it's sin that's responsible for this malady, not a deficient childhood where you didn't learn the lessons you needed to. (I'm very pro-biblical counseling, where Christian counseling seems semi-Pelagian at best.)

4 comments:

merradoc said...

I really like this post. I don't think I ever noted God's power even in eating disorders.
p.s. you are a fan of harry potter right?
p.s.s. It is too bad you are not up this weekend. You missed an excellent missions dinner.

Peter Eddy said...

Thanks. I used to find the Psalms really difficult to read through, but God's really granted me an easier go of it, this time round.

I will confirm here, for everyone who reads my blog potentially to know, yes, I am a fan of Harry Potter. To clarify, I've never read a page of any of the books, but have thoroughly enjoyed the movies.

lowonthego said...

can you clarify what it means when you say that it is sin that is responsible for the malady and not a deficient childhood?

It's My DLu! said...

i'm just curious (this is not a leading question) ... Peter, have you ever gone to and engaged in Christian counselling? How have you formed this opinion and criticism about Christian counselling?

Darren.

Post a Comment