The following are the first ten terms of a sequence: 0, 1, 0, 2, 0, 1, 0, 3, 0, 1, . . . Same idea as the other sequences. Describe the pattern of the sequence. If you use a search engine, please don't submit it in the comments. If it hasn't been solved by Wednesday, I'll give a hint. It's pretty easy, so you probably won't need a hint. Also, if you ask a polar question (i.e., a yes/no question), I will probably answer it if it relates to this sequence. Update: Hint: It's related to powers of 2. I'll post the solution on Thursday. (Since I forgot to put the hint up for last week's sequence until today, I won't put the solution up for it until Wednesday of this week.) Update: The sequence is the highest exponent for which 2 to the exponent of the entry divides the index. E.g., 21=2 divides 3 but 22=4 does not, so a(3)=1. E.g., 23=8 divides 8 but 24=16 does not, so a(8)=3. E.g., 20=1 divides 7 but 2 does not, so a(7)=0. E.g., 21=2 divides 10 but 22=4 does not, so a(10)=1. It was not solved. Update: Last week's second sequence (1, 2, 4, 6, 16, 12, 64, 24, 36, 48, 1024, . . .) was the list of smallest integers with exactly the index's number of proper divisors, that is, a(n) was the smallest positive integer with exactly n divisors. E.g., 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 18, 36 all divide 36, and they are the only divisors of 36. Furthermore, no positive integer less than 36 has exactly nine divisors. So a(9)=36. It was not solved. As an extra exercise, prove that for each i=1, 2, 3, . . . there exists an integer with exactly i divisors. The following is a list of sequences (of varying difficulty, where the difficulty is reported based on the number of terms listed, on my subjective assessment) for the following seven weeks, each with a varying number of terms listed: Same idea as the other sequences. Describe the pattern of the sequence. If you use a search engine, please don't submit it in the comments. Within eight weeks from now, for any of the sequences that are still left unsolved I'll post a hint, and then on June 15th, with that week's sequence, post the solutions.
Monday, April 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
#1: the next term is the sum of the three previous terms.
#2: some sort of subset of prime numbers, but I'm not sure what the logic is.
Post a Comment