Monday, January 18, 2010

I have some somewhat original material coming up for the blog in the next few weeks, but for now you'll have to be satisfied with me completely ripping off Dr. John Currid's blog:

One of the requirements to attend Spurgeon's college was a recommendation from the applicant's pastor. Spurgeon tells one story of a pastoral recommendation:

"I had a curious experience with one applicant. His pastor had given him an open letter, warmly commending him to me as a man called to the ministry; but, in another communication, sent to me by post, the minister wrote that the young man was not at all likely ever to become a preacher, and that he had only written the recommendation because the candidate's father was his chief deacon, and he feared to offend him by telling him the truth. I felt that it was quite unjust to put upon me the onus of refusing the young man; so, when he arrived, I gave him the epistle I had received, and left him and his father to settle the matter with their pastor in the best way they could"

This is hilarious!

Seriously, read his blog every time it comes out. What a gold mine!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

haha, that's really funny!

merradoc said...

Although I don't believe that story was shared for serious consideration, I actually don't know whether he addressed that in the most appropriate manner...

Peter Eddy said...

To defend Spurgeon, I don't think he was in sin; he was under no constraints of confidentiality and he was dealing with someone else's sin. The pastor was suffering from the fear of man (sin) and as a result he lied (sin).

I agree with you, though, Meredith. Spurgeon's making a pain in that pastor's life that would probably cause a firestorm in that church. Probably what the best thing to do would have been to rebuke the pastor and ask him to resign. That could have protected the reputation of the church. I wonder whether that church made it through the conflict, or even if there was a conflict.

Post a Comment