Taken from Christopher Adsit's Personal Disciplemaking: A Step-By-Step Guide for Leading a Christian From New Birth to Maturity (Orlando, Florida: Campus Crusade for Christ, 1996): From time to time while I was in college, a bunch of us would fan out and knock on doors in our building, just to see if we could find anyone interested in talking about the gospel. In my early days as a witnessing Christian, I was a wee bit off in both my motivation and approach. I was definitely interested in seeing people come to know Christ, but I was equally interested in the chase, the debate, the intellectual give-and-take; seeing the foe weakened as he had to relinquish a point; myself emerging the victor after a titanic battle, the walls around us bloody with rhetoric, philosophies, quotes and logic. The zenith of my misplaced zeal was my (now embarrassing) practice of making up Scripture. If a fellow's argument backed me into a corner, I'd simply invent a "biblical" statement (complete with chapter and verse) that facilitated my escape. It's too bad no one ever asked me to show it to them in the Bible - it would have ended that folly in a hurry! (p. 39) What a fun story! He goes on to make the point that it's God's job to convert people, it was only his job to tell them the Truth.
Saturday, January 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment