Saturday, May 24, 2008

I started a while back a blog entry on how far Christians can engage in the political process with their Christian morality. Specifically, I know that an issue that's been brought up before at OCBC's YA has been whether the government should have the right to define marriage. (Forgive my lack of detail and precision as I try to express the issue crudely.)

Though it was originally supposed to be a simple entry, taking up no more than one page in Microsoft Word, it has now become a project. I'm really enjoying working on it. I'm trying to evenly represent each side of the argument, assuming each side is Christian. As soon as it's done I'll post it. I might post it over a series of entries, though, since it's going to be extremely long. If you want to help out, you can state your stance, and explain why you think (i.e., not feel) that your stance is correct.

Anyway, perhaps I'll leave a personal note as well, while I'm writing.

I just got back from Abbotsford, BC where my orientation training was since I've joined Power to Change staff. It was pretty nice. Though it was only sunny for two days, while most of the time it was overcast. The city was remarkably small. But there were a ton of churches there. Sunday was our day off. In the morning I went to a church called Vintage 242 (i.e., Ac. 2:42), which is an Acts 29 church plant (the church planting organization that Mark Driscoll was at least a part of establishing). It was small and the congregation met in a movie theatre. The pastor was passionate about evangelism and doctrine. It felt like OCBC. Then, in the evening, three friends and I went to Seattle for the 5PM (PST) service at Mars Hill Church, Ballard Campus. The music wasn't my style, and Driscoll wasn't as entertaining as he used to be, but I'd love to go back. The building that it took place in was amazing - very masculine. I stink at describing my aesthetic observations but the place was great. Big spaces, well organized, masculine colours, not overly elaborate. It was a great experience. I want to learn what they did there so that I can do it if I plant a church.
 
But I'm back now. I should be able to post a couple of times each month, and maybe even finish the project before the end of June. We'll see.

0 comments:

Post a Comment