I keep thinking about the issue of Gay Marriage. Clearly, homosexuality is sin, as presented in the Bible. I constantly wonder what morality should be turned into national law. The following are preliminary thoughts and no Bible references. My next post will venture a little into what insight the Bible gives us.
For example, I do think that marriage is a very important institution, that any country must recognize. That makes me think that in order to protect the posterity, marriage should be restricted to exactly what the Bible prescribed. So, let's say that gets legislated into law. Next, we recognize that adultery is pretty bad, so it gets legislated into law. So far, I'm not too bothered by it. I wonder whether it's okay, but if it were to happen, I don't think that I would argue it. Then, we say that any sex outside of a legitimate marriage is illicit. Then, make masturbation illegal. Then, make absenteeism from a legitimate church on Sunday a crime. At what point is the government oppressive?
I feel very uncomfortable at the notion of forcing people to go to church. I think that most Christians would feel uncomfortable with this. Beyond this, I recognize of my heart that I think that I feel much more at ease legislating law against sins that I do not think that I will succumb to than I do at legislating law over sins that I am tempted to do. I have no immediate problem with the idea of making even the slightest drug infraction - including nicotine - illegal. However, the idea of legislating law against gluttony scares me.
This makes me think that I should try to put my feet in the shoes of the adulteress or the homosexual.
However, it takes a worldview to create law. Christians have a perfectly good worldview. Why not use it? On top of that, certain things I think are absolutely essential to protect - the dignity of human life (murder, racism, abortion, euthanasia, suicide). I also think that violence should be illegal. I think that slavery should be illegal.
Ultimately, what I'm trying to say is that on the one extreme, there are certain things that are sin, that I don't want the government to enforce, but, there are also things that are sin, that I absolutely do want to be enforced by the government. The question is, then, where should the line be drawn?
1 comments:
Hey Peter
You've hit on 2 points that I love (at least sometimes): policy and law.
This is quite intriguing... mixing faith and law. I have many thoughts on this. I will write up a microsoft document and send it to you.
And/or when you come to Ottawa, we can have an educational discussion.
Post a Comment