I was reading the Friendly Atheist today, when one of his posts was on abortion. He posted an image from an entry at a humour site. The poster's justification of abortion is that it prevents pregnancy out of marriage. I find it so difficult to believe that people can take this issue so callously, not recognizing that it's horrible that, if life begins at conception (which it does!), that a baby dies in every abortion.
The poster also draws attention to Canada; always a reliable country where you can go to get your babies killed.
Here's the poster:
Sorry it's not too high quality. Click on it to see the original. I don't know how to use Blogger well enough to get it at the quality that the source has it at.
Saturday, August 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
hmmm not to say i advocate for a pro-choice stance..
but I don't think the poster IS taking the issue flippantly. Callously, maybe..but not flippantly. Its existence is proof in itself that the author/designer of the poster DOES indeed care.
Also, I don't think the poster's justification of abortion is that it prevents pregnancy out of marriage. Facetious undertones need to be read...
and...haha it is semi-funny. to give it credit where due.
It was certainly a subjective call to say that the poster seemed callous in its address of abortion. I don't find abortion funny. It's worse than making a joke about Jews out of the Holocaust. (More babies have been killed in abortions than there were non-military victims in the Holocaust.) It's worse than joking about the genocide in Rwanda. That's why my first reaction to it was that it was callous.
From the artist's point of view, I can see why he would find it easy to joke about; he doesn't think that abortion is murder. It would be like me joking about breakfast eggs.
Anyway, after reading your comment, I looked at the poster again, more thoughtfully this time. It actually doesn't justify abortion at all; the poster takes its uprightness for granted. Instead, it implies the pro-choice advocate believes that the Church condemns abortion because pregnancy is a punishment from God on the sexually immoral. (Tell that to the victims of beastiality who aren't being avenged.) I wonder whether this is a serious perception of the Christian, pro-life stance.
Post a Comment