I was surprised to see that I hadn't even put a part 2 on this series yet, two and a half months following the original post. Hopefully I'll keep that in mind to put out a third part in short order.
--
This is short, but important. At some point while I was out west for the past three weeks, Desiring God posted a question and answer segment where Piper discussed how much the Christian mind should look to the Bible to direct what policies should be emphasized in the political realm. Let me quote the thrust of what he says:
[T]he Bible shows that we should not turn all of its commands into law. So [the] question boils down to, Well, which ones then? ... The way it works practically is that for the laws where we can get overwhelming consensus in the culture we're going to use coercion [(i.e., get the authorities to intervene)].
I don't entirely agree with that. It's very helpful as a beginning point for thinking about the issue. My commitment is to, within the next week, write a post on where and why I disagree with it. Maybe I'll write more than that.
1 comments:
That's a really interesting Piper article. I look forward to your thoughts on it.
Post a Comment