Thursday, October 9, 2008

Take the test.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was fun.

The only ones that didn't get a 1 or a 2 were: #4 (not important), #5(pure speculation), #7 (not important), #14 (not important), #15 (important but not essential) and #16 (important but not essential).

For #4, #7 and #14 (not important), a better way of saying it would be "not very important". Obviously the stance you have still has implications which affect the quality of your teaching and doctrine. But I would say they are of relatively low importance.

I gave the ones about the Bible a 2, because you could deny one of the epistles (or conversely, affirm an apocryphal book) and still get into Heaven.

For abortion and homosexuality, I think believing that they are sins is 2, but abstaining from them is 1, if that makes sense. Since we know that no (unrepentant) liar, adulterer, murderer, homosexual, etc. will go to Heaven.

The rest were 1, although I think you can get to Heaven without understanding the subtleties of imputed sin. Maybe that one is 2.

Peter Eddy said...

The responses that I gave on the original blog were:

01. Belief in the full deity of Christ - 1;
02. Belief in sola fide (belief that salvation is by faith alone, without the addition of any works) - 1;
03. Belief in the existence of God - 1;
04. Belief in the pre-tribulational rapture of the Church - 6 or 4, I don’t believe in a pretribulational rapture, but I don’t think that the Church should condemn it as wrong;
05. Belief that the witch of Endor saw the Spirit of Samuel, not a demonic representation (1 Sam. 28:15) - 4 (oops, I meant to give the same response as the previous statement, because I think that the witch saw a demonic representation);
06. Belief in inerrancy (that the Bible does not have any errors in doctrine, history, or science) - 2;
07. Belief that believers, upon death, go to directly into the presence of Christ, not into a state of spiritual unconsciousness until the resurrection (i.e. you deny soul-sleep) - 2;
08. Belief that Christ is fully God and fully Man - 1;
09. Belief that the book of 2 Peter should be part of the New Testament canon - 2;
10. Belief that the Gospel of John should be part of the New Testament canon - 2;
11. Belief that the doctrine of purgatory is false - 1;
12. Belief in the doctrine of the Trinity (i.e. there is one God who eternally exist in three distinct persons, all of which are fully God, all of which are equal) - 1;
13. Belief in the inspiration of Scripture - 2;
14. Beliefs about the age of the earth - 3;
15. Belief that Adam and Eve were real people, not simply symbolic of mankind - 2;
16. Belief in the eternal security of the believer/perseverance of the saints (i.e. that a true believe can never lose their salvation) - 3;
17. Belief that Jesus will come again - 2;
18. Belief that Jesus rose bodily from the grave - 1;
19. Belief in imputed sin (i.e. that we are held guilty by God for the sin of Adam) - 1 (but I agree with Jer, upon further reflection, it's probably more 2);
20. Belief in personal sin (i.e. that all people have sinned) - 1;
21. Belief in the penal substitutionary view of the atonement (i.e. that Christ death on the cross was a substitute penalty required by God for payment for your sins) - 1;
22. Belief in monotheism (i.e. there is only one God) - 1;
23. Belief in sola Scriptura (i.e. that the Scripture is our ultimate and and only infallible authority and that no council or pope is infallible) - 2;
24. Belief that homosexuality is a sin - 2;
25. Belief that abortion is a sin - 2.

As for the witch at En-dor seeing Samuel, I don't think that it's pure speculation. I think that it can be reasoned. For one, the text says, "The king said to her, 'Do not be afraid. What do you see?' ... 'I see a god coming up out of the earth.' ... 'What is his appearance?' ... 'An old man is coming up, and he is wrapped in a robe'" (1S. 28:13-14). Sure sounds like the text is suggesting other than a human. I think this is more than speculation.

lowonthego said...

hey bro,

the new template looks good.

Post a Comment