I was shocked when I read that Apple (yes, the very iPod and computer company) has given $100 000 to defeat Proposition 8 on the California ballot in November. Basically, Proposition 8 restricts the definition of marriage to one man and one woman. The proposition does not take a stance on granting privileges to homosexual partners in recognized civil unions. The philosophy behind it is that the unique institution of a man and woman joining covenantally, to provide for one another, and produce, nurture and rear children, is essential to society. So that institution must not be corrupted by confusion. If a homosexual couple wants equal privileges to married couples (such as hospital visitation or tax breaks), Proposition 8 won't inhibit that from happening through the democratic process. Anyway, it was surprising that the company chose to put its weight behind such a controversial issue. I guess that I shouldn't be too surprised. Al Mohler wrote this morning, "Younger Americans, by and large, see homosexuality as part of the recognizable landscape and within the normal range of human behaviors." Maybe Apple is trying to appeal to the next generation by joining them in their struggle to win rights for homosexuals. That has to be what Apple's doing. The $100 000 they're giving is not much compared to the 24 billion dollars of revenue they generated in their 2007 fiscal year, so they're doing this purely for the sake of making a statement. To weigh in, I was always satisfied with PCs. I've never been disappointed with them. And on top of that, Macs are so expensive. So, I was never planning on buying a Mac. But this is more reason. Buying a Mac is partly (i.e., 0.0004%) going to fund the homosexual movement. As an addition to this, the first article I referred to said that Levi's jeans gave $25 000 to the campaign to defeat Prop. 8.
Monday, October 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
that's interesting.
i meant to make this comment on your last post but forgot: when i first saw the name of your nephew, i was like "oh... peter and tristan are cousins?" but then i decided that i wasn't going to go down that route again (assuming that you're cousins with everybody).
when are you going to make a trip to o-town?
Interesting. Your last paragraph, though, raises some issues. Should Christians not buy from a company that has certain moral stances?
Because increasingly, some major American companies -- Wal-Mart, Microsoft, McDonald's included -- are pretty liberal on social issues (e.g., stance on abortion, support for gay rights, etc.).
I don't know if Microsoft is throwing any funding towards the gay movement, but thy definitely support it. So I don't know if you can use it as a reason not to buy a Mac.
I'm saying that it's something to consider. I'm not against boycotts, but they're pretty complex. For example, if I were an American, I would boycott Planned Parenthood, even for pregnancy advice (assuming they offer it), because I disagree with their stance on the rights of the unborn.
That said, I have no problem admitting that my dislike is mostly for Apple's ridiculous prices. I did phrase it poorly. I really have no intention of buying a Macintosh. But I certainly felt happy that I hadn't bought a Mac, when I found this news out.
Where did you read that Microsoft is pro-gay, Jer?
My brother told me. But I just looked it up and it's definitely true: http://www.microsoft.com/about/ diversity/programs/dac/ gleam.mspx
Post a Comment