The Telegraph wrote, A top 10 list of irritating expressions has been compiled by researchers at Oxford University... They also said that "literally" and "ironically" are also found to be highly irritating when used out of context. Interesting.
Friday, November 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Fairlly Unique and I personally are very irritating. I had to get Laura to explain why should'nt of should not exist.
"Literally" used out of its context is the one that really irks me. For example, "My fingers were literally freezing" is not true unless the circulation to the digits has ceased and they're in subzero temperature.
yeah, but at the end of the day, who's gonna say "my hands are figuratively freezing"?
Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't mind someone saying that his hands are freezing. I understand that it's an idiom in our society. It's if he says that his hands are literally freezing.
Post a Comment