Tuesday, November 18, 2008

As Canada had a record low voter turnout last month for the election, I was not surprised when I read that the sentence the Collins English Dictionary will be using to illustrate the use of the word "meh" will be "the Canadian election was so meh." Canwest News wrote,

A disgruntled Canadian voter expressing boredom in an Internet forum about the recent federal election will have that feeling immortalized in the Collins English Dictionary.

The U.K.-based publisher of the popular reference book announced this week that the word "meh" - meaning "mediocre" or "boring," as in "the Canadian election was so meh," Collins editors explained - has been chosen over hundreds of other submissions to become the general public's entry in the dictionary's 30th anniversary edition, to be printed next year.

But the lexicographer who used the election reference to convey the meaning of English's new "expression of indifference" insists he intended "no slight to Canada."

I find it amusing that the sentence says "so meh." It's like saying, "You're twice as average as the average person," or, conversely, "You're special – just like everybody else."

8 comments:

merradoc said...

I love the word meh. It is a perfect word.

Peter Eddy said...

So your blog fast only involves fasting from posting, and not from reading? If meh's perfect, then meh's not meh.

Ben Wheaton said...

Hey, just remember the old curse: "May you live in interesting times." Be happy we're boring--at least we're not Zimbabwe.

Peter Eddy said...

Touché, brother.

Anonymous said...

I personally do not like the word/expression "meh" and strive not to use it. It's like you're too lazy to think of a real word so you use a sound to convey your feelings..I don't get it?!

merradoc said...

Dear Monica,
What you consider laziness is actually an art form called Expressionism, used often in Canadian literature. It is so the most accurate word is used to convey the creators meaning so to promote clarity. Granted they were not trying to get their words published in the Oxford dictionary (I hope the word beardusty is not there at least (found in the poem Bushed by Earle Birney, twice recipient of the Governor General's Award), meaning- when it is very dark in nature and you are paranoid of your surroundings).

Expressionism is the tendency of an artist to distort reality for an emotional effect; it is a subjective art form. Expressionism is exhibited in many art forms, including painting, literature, theatre, film, architecture and music. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expressionism

Anonymous said...

Your use of wikipedia as a reliable source appears to confirm the laziness behind 'meh' users. o'.'o

merradoc said...

Yo- I took the notes in English and I should get props for referencing a literary award winner. All you presented was your opinion. Plus wikipedia is an excellent place to get a general overview of a concept.

Post a Comment