Thursday, December 4, 2008

"It's not about going back to the nineteenth century; it's about going back to the Scriptures." Albert Mohler said something like that on his radio program on November 25th, in reference to complementarian Christian women asserting that they want to start a counter-cultural movement where it is acknowledged that there is a difference in the roles that men and women are to enter into. He said that when he read the True Woman Manifesto (I'll get to it in this post), he got the impression that if a Christian woman in the 19th century were reading it, she would wonder why the document was written. It would be like a duh moment. The goal of the complementarian movement is not to make people old fashioned. The goal is to be biblical.

On the program, he was talking with Mary Kassian, professor at Southern Seminary, Canadian, author and speaker (and the first person to get a post with the "Character" label on my blog). On it, they were talking about the True Woman conference that happened back in mid-October, where about 6300 women went to listen and interact about biblical lessons on gender, and more specifically, femininity. They talked a fair chunk about the document I mentioned above. Mrs. Kassian wants to see 100 000 women sign the document internationally. That's my hope for many of the girls who read this blog, that maybe you would sign it.

I mostly wrote this post because I liked what Mohler said so much. Evangelical feminism is brand new, less than a hundred years old. It's coming out of the culture of radical feminism, not the Bible. If egalitarianism were biblical it would have emerged in Church history at some point earlier. It didn't. Biblical gender is not about going back to the cave man days, but it's about being biblical.

Below is the audio that's from the conference. I hope you listen to it. I've only listened to the panel discussion and Mrs. Kassian's first talk so far, but I'm going to read the rest soon. I highly recommend her talk.

Thursday, October 9

The Ultimate Meaning of True Womanhood
Pastor John Piper

watch

listen

read

From Him, Through Him, To Him
Nancy Leigh DeMoss

watch

listen

read


Friday, October 10

You've Come a Long Way, Baby!
Mary Kassian

watch

listen

read

A Resolve to Believe
Karen Loritts

watch

listen

read

A Woman After God's Own Heart
Janet Parshall

watch

listen

read

God's Jewels
Joni Tada

watch

listen

read


Saturday, October 11

Panel Discussion
Mary Kassian, Holly Elliff, Karen Loritts, Barbara Rainey, Carolyn McCulley

watch

listen

read

For Such A Time As This
Nancy Leigh DeMoss

watch

listen

read

0 comments:

Post a Comment