Monday, December 15, 2008

With engagements being put on my mind anew, and Jon Bloom, the Executive Director of Desiring God (Piper's ministry), producing an absolutely wonderful blog entry related to Joseph and Mary's engagement (i.e., betrothal), I have to point out an awesome illustration of grace, demonstrated by an awesome woman.

Matthew 1:18, 19 reads, "When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit. And her husband Joseph, being a just man and unwilling to put her to shame, resolved to divorce her quietly." Hearing that Joseph decided to divorce her, you have to come to the conclusion that either Mary didn't defend herself when Joseph found out she was pregnant, or Joseph didn't believe her when she did defend herself.

I'm inclined to think the latter – that she would definitely explain that she'd seen Gabriel and that the pregnancy was of God (Lk. 1:26-38). She'd heard from God, and not telling it would be like Ezekiel not sharing his prophecy with the world. So I think that Joseph didn't believe her (as Jon Bloom imagines in his hypothetical narrative). Mary had somehow exceeded the trust that she'd earned from Joseph. Her story was indeed incredible.

I wonder what sort of miracles I would be too naturalistic to believe. Would I believe it if my best friend had been supernaturally given a haircut by God? Would I believe it if my pastor told me that he was about to get on a plane for Saudi Arabia when God transported him there, as He did to Philip away from the Ethiopian eunuch? Do I trust those whom I should trust unconditionally? Is unconditional trust necessary? Was Joseph wrong for not trusting Mary?

If Joseph had been right, and Mary had cheated on him, then he would have been justified in leaving her (Mt. 19:9 – the true application of this verse). And I don't want to vilify him by overstressing this, but he could have given her a second chance. If she'd cheated on him, it would have been either during their engagement, or shortly before. It would have completely changed his perception of her. But he could have gone ahead with the marriage anyway.

The point is, though, Mary was faithful! And it would have no doubt hurt her that the man she loved, and was going to take as her husband, didn't believe her on as critical an issue as fidelity. While never having been in a reciprocating BGR, I don't have full experience of the truth of the statement, "Trust is the foundation that holds a marriage up" (although, you might be more spiritual than me and say that's blasphemy of the highest order since God is the foundation that holds a marriage up), I still believe it.

Mary was such an amazing woman, that even though her groom-to-be thought that she was a fornicator, she still married him. I'm not Catholic, so I don't think that she somehow bore James, the brother of Jesus, without having sex, nor do I think that she ascended into heaven (as Enoch, Elijah and Jesus did), nor do I think that she was sinless, but I still think that she's amazing. She forgave Joseph's lack of faith in her and gave him a second chance. On top of that, she raised the Lord, but I'm trying not to overshadow small moments of massive, Holy Spirit given forgiveness.

I hope and pray that I have that much grace with my friends, and someday in my marriage.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still figuring out my stance on remarriage and divorce...listened to a good sermon on it last week which doesn't hold to the betrothal view.

Anyway, that's just a comment on the stuff you had in brackets.

Post a Comment