Denny Burk (professor at Southern, and dean of Southern's undergrad college, Boyce College) put up a blog entry last Friday, riding on the coattails of Tim Challies. Dr. Burk quoted an excerpt from a Time article published in 1940. It was about the Christians who were in the way. Einstein makes an amazing statement to the credit of God preserving His Church:
Being a lover of freedom, when the revolution came in Germany, I looked to the universities to defend it, knowing that they had always boasted of their devotion to the cause of truth; but, no, the universities immediately were silenced. Then I looked to the great editors of the newspapers whose flaming editorials in days gone by had proclaimed their love of freedom; but they, like the universities, were silenced in a few short weeks. . . .Only the Church stood squarely across the path of Hitler's campaign for suppressing truth. I never had any special interest in the Church before, but now I feel a great affection and admiration because the Church alone has had the courage and persistence to stand for intellectual truth and moral freedom. I am forced thus to confess that what I once despised I now praise unreservedly.
What a powerful witness of the greatness of the Church from a nonchristian! I pray that the Church today would stand steadfastly, in like fashion to the Church opposing Hilter, against abortion, racisim, gay marriage, poverty and genocide.
Father, Your Kingdom come and Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven (Mt. 6:10).
0 comments:
Post a Comment