Monday, July 14, 2008

(Unnecessary introduction.)
Mark Dever is probably the popular figure I relate most to right now. I agree with almost all of his theology (he's pushing for his church not to baptize people until they turn 18, where I only see the command in Scripture to make disciples and baptize them [Mt. 28:19], not, "Go and convert 'em and then wait a decade to dunk 'em" as pragmatic as that may sound). He and I are Calvinists, complimentarians, continualists weary of charismatics, and baptists. As baptists, we agree that "the local church is the hope of the world." We agree that the local church should be elder-led and congregationally-ruled. We agree that the normative pattern of the local church should be having one Sunday morning worship service where all of your members are in attendance. We agree that the Gospel should be presented in every sermon.

The guy jokes with paedo-baptists about baptism. He loves politics. He loves history. He sees the importance of evangelism. He graciously disagrees with people and doesn't turn polemics into feuds. The sort of conversations that he pursues in his 9Marks Interviews make me think that he and I would have a ton to talk about (consider especially his interview with Mac). I admire and respect the man so much. Certainly enough to praise him, in depth, in two different posts. I thank God that He has blessed the Church with Dr. Dever.

(Transition to body.)
This makes me think about how much I would love to have his job (I think; it's really easy to covet something while you are unaware of the downsides of the object of desire). He gets to preach the Bible. He gets to train leaders. He gets to interview the smartest men in evangelicalism. He went to seminary at Southern (the number one recommended seminary by Piper), not even to mention, at the same time as Mohler! (Although, that's of the past and I wouldn't get to relive it if I just took Dever's job.) He has politicians who go to his church and ask him for time up front to talk about elections. Of course, he says, "no," to them. But he's in a hot spot of activity having a church in Washington, D.C. That's the best of both worlds, ministry and politics. Kind of like the Christian Embassy, but better, since it has a focus on training pastors as well.

(The meat of the post.)
On the subject of politics, I wanted to make an observation. In the U.S., there have been forty two presidents (lists often say forty three, but I am not counting the multiplicity of Grover Cleveland), among whom, fifteen were at one point senators and seventeen were at one point governors. That said, if I had the prime minister's office as my ambition, the first thing I would try to do is become premier of one of the provinces. That just doesn't really happen in Canada, though. I wonder why. The closest thing in my lifetime that resembled it was Mike Harris. He had just resigned from being premier of Ontario (to try to work on his marriage) and my father kept telling me to watch, that he would someday run for prime minister. In fact, in my first year, I used to write under my name in all my emails either "Bush '04" or "Harris '05". Obviously, that never happened. I still wonder why. Anyway, that would be my advice to an aspiring politician in the making. Go become the premier of a province. If you fail, oh well, you've only destroyed a province, not the country. But if you succeed, especially in Ontario, you'll be remembered come the day you run for federal office.

(Epilogue.)
When I was in second year I said that I wanted to STINT in South America. (I hadn't told many people this, probably two. I wonder whether they remember.) From my third year to mid-fifth year, I wanted to plant a church in Muslim Africa. Though that still appeals to me, Tanz-STINT not happening this year coupled with me committing to four years in Quebec have left my vision for Africa waning these days. I may see a shift in my future plans year again. Maybe I'll plant a church in Gatineau (or take on a pastorate at a church in need of its own reformation, like what Dever, MacArthur and Piper have done at the churches they're now at) and see whether the Lord grants me a ministry to politicians.

In Christ there are so many blessed opportunities. One of the few (maybe many, e.g., God's glory [Rm. 9:22, 23]) good things about the world being so fallen is that there are endless directions you can go in order to help fulfill the Great Commission. Pray that I would go in the direction that I can have the greatest impact for Christ, be challenged most in my faith, and be most faithful.

4 comments:

merradoc said...

I enjoyed the bracketed explanation of the section.

monica said...

I concur with merradoc. Very organized indeed.

I just wanted to say that I see a big jump in your support percentage and that is very exciting:)

Peter Eddy said...

The previous two posts had been too long, and desiring for people to know where the thrust of this post was, so that the reader, if he chose not to read the whol thing, could just read the important part.

I too am very excited by the jump! I'm praying that by Monday I'll be at 25%. Join me.

Peter Eddy said...

The previous comment began with an incomplete sentence and a typo. It should have gone

The previous two posts had been too long, and desiring for people to know where the thrust of this post was, I labeled each section so that the reader, if he chose not to read the whole thing, could just read the important part.

Post a Comment