Monday, June 16, 2008

I was praising Adam to Monica this past school year, when I realized that I'd learned so much serving in C4C (i.e., Campus for Christ) with such great leaders. This entry and the following two are to acknowledge the three KSLs (Key Student Leader) under whom I've served.

Each leader's acknowledgement is fairly lengthy, so, even though I've already written up each of the three entries, I'll stagger them by two days each. Here's the first:

--

Jason Parker became the Carleton's KSL of Campus Crusade for Christ in his second year, the academic year of 2003-04, my first year at Carleton, and (I say lightly) reigned until he graduated in 2006, with an honours degree in Classics (i.e., the study of ancient civilizations, I think). Before I became comfortable talking about dating and complementarianism, I liked to brag that he was the one who kept dating out of C4C (though he always disliked being accredited for this). Not to rub salt in any wounds, but while he served as KSL, (again, jesting) at least three relationships ended, one relationship led to marriage and the couple left Ottawa, and any other people who entered relationships left the ministry. (While that final clause is a joke, I say it with some disappointment. It breaks my heart to see some relationships that are clearly unevenly yoked, get in the way of a relationship with the living God, Jesus Christ.) But, one couple did prevail in their relationship, at which point, Mr. Parker left Ottawa. That was when he graduated, but when you leave that detail out it makes him sound like a prude who thinks that dating and marriage are bad things, not to be tolerated.

All joking aside, the Bible character I most associate with him is Barnabas, the "son of encouragement" (Ac. 4:36). For some reason, Parker made consistent efforts to relate to me. The first time we ever really talked was in my second year, after our weekly meeting, the whole group went skating on the canal. He skated with me that night as we did the length of the course, and back. Then, sometimes he would be intending on hanging out with Adam and invite me to come along. I've never expressed to him how much that meant to me.

At the end of my third year, thinking that I had just faithfully finished a year of leading a DG and serving in the ministry, I was expecting to be added to the Servant Team (hereafter referred to as "ST"). I wasn't, much to the shattering of my haughty ego. Adam later went on to tell me that Parker had encouraged me to be reconsidered for the ST. I was surprised to hear that. That's not an exhaustive list of ways that Parker had shown trust in me.

Parker was also real. He wasn't about to let anyone walk all over him. There was one time at a weekly meeting we had an unexpected addition to our scheduled program, and later he told me that it made him angry. In no way saying this to shame him, in his vulnerability (which I usually equate with being real), he made it possible to learn from his faults, as much as from his good example.

No doubt though, Parker's greatest strength was his ability to make himself available to the men around him, and to encourage them in their strengths. He definitely wasn't perfect, but I think that he was a great encourager.

5 comments:

monica said...

Tsk- I thought you weren't going to refer to anyone by name or gender. I can't believe you let people know both pieces of info about me! According to your rules, I should have been an unknown male. And, you also provided potential stalkers a way of reaching me. Hahaa... no it's ok, I don't mind. I just think it's really funny.

I also heard Parker had a reputation for maintaining celibacy in our ministry. After he left, there were like couples galore. Actually, Carolyn told me (in 1st year) that anyone wanted to date had to get permission from Parker first with a signed form or something... I almost believed her.. I don't know why.

Peter Eddy said...

A few things:

1. On Power To Change staff, hypothetically, if I were to marry a non-staff person, the organization would need to interview her before I would be allowed to marry her.

2. While I'm raising support, hypothetically, if I were to propose to a woman, I would need permission to buy the ring.

Surprising, huh?

My disclaimer post explaining the thing about using "he", at times, instead of "he or she" or "they" (in the incorrect third person singular), was supposed to only be when I was keeping that individual either hypothetical or anonymous. You're real, and I have no desire to keep you anonymous.

For example: "If a Christian is a member of a church, he should tithe there" is not exclusive to men, but applies to women as well, even if it is not explicitly stated. Hopefully this clarifies one of my uses.

Second example. Let's imagine (very briefly) that Monica had just had an adulterous affair. [Note: Monica is not married, never has been, and hasn't committed adultery.] If I were to write about it, which I doubt that I would, it would be phrased, "A friend of mine just had an adulterous affair. I never expected it from him..."

Does this clarify? I'm only using the gender neutral "him" on a case-by-case basis.

monica said...

AHHH!!!!! You SO did not just post that phrase in your above comment. That is SO inappropriate and SKETCHY!! AHHHH!!!!! Tsk, you're soooooooooooo sketch!!!! I rebuke, Peter Eddy! AHHHHHHH!! What a way to make a point! Why did you use a random name like 'Jane had an adulterous affair?' OR: 'Monica just committed manslaugher and hid the body by the bushes outside my house'.

That's it, next time I see you, I'm giving you a mandatory lecture on how to pick/choose your words wisely. And why you should stay away from seedy topics.

merradoc said...

a)above comments: funny
b) PTC really does own you

Peter Eddy said...

Mons, if you don't want your last name to be in this part, just change your last name. You know a good way to change your last name? Get married and take your hubby's.

Post a Comment