Friday, June 20, 2008

First, I want to say how much I disapprove of so much of what has happened behind the doors of the courts in Canada and the US, whether it's Roe v. Wade in the States or homosexual unions here, there is no end to the shock that I get from what the courts are doing. I now want to draw your attention to something absolutely disgusting.

The courts are now the senior parents of Canadian children? This is ridiculous. "Whoever spares the rod hates his son,but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him" (Proverbs 13:24). Denying privileges (not rights) doesn't seem too bad by comparison.

Second, having nothing to do with the former, a Piper wrote an interesting thought on his brother's blog: "It's odd: those most opposed to 'topical' preaching are often the most committed to systematic theology. Soteriology and pneumatology are topics, no?"

If you know me, even if you don't know the terminology, you probably know that I love jumping into the Bible and seeing how it answers certain questions. That falls under systematic theology. I am a systematic theology buff.

Barnabas' (the guy who wrote the quote) post is really good though, because expository, verse-by-verse preaching best models biblical theology. I would far opt for expository preaching of whole books of the Bible before choosing topical sermons. Which makes Barnabas' point so insightful.

This second portion of the post seems to be begininning to neander aimlessly, so let me conclude in my agreement that good systematic theology must begin with excellent biblical theology.

If you want an application, I've got one: Read your whole Bible. Don't pick and choose which books of it to read. Read two books of the OT, one book of the NT. Read the "whole counsel of God" (Acts 20:27)!

0 comments:

Post a Comment