Continuing on in this three part series, here's the second installment. I enjoyed writing this entry so much because my relationship with Adam has faced struggles that I haven't faced with most of my friends, at most one other. I praise God that he still calls me friend, and I certainly am grateful to have a friend like him.
--
Adam became the KSL of Carleton's chapter of Campus for Christ (note the change in name of the ministry) in his fourth and final year, the academic year of 2006-07. He is passionate about evangelism. He is passionate about preaching. He is passionate about sound doctrine. He is passionate about the local church. And he is passionate about the Great Commission. Adam provided the first stepping stones for me to really gain an interest, and love, for the local church. He discipled me in his final year, and at the same time, submitted to me as I led our Young Adults cell group at church. He graduated with a double major in English and Philosophy, and is currently serving the Great Commission in East Asia.
The biblical figure I most closely associate with Adam is Paul. Of Christ's Apostles, He only chose one educated man. It was Paul. Adam is without question, the smartest man I've ever met. He reads probably ten times faster than I can, and his rate of processing arguments is probably of comparable magnitude over my own ability. Last year I was always amazed at how quickly he was formulating hypotheses when we were studying texts of Scripture. He seemingly effortlessly would refute bad arguments. He isn't closed minded, so he's actually listening to people when they're stating their opinions. He also has the integrity to say what needs to be said. E.g., he was the one who opposed Parker's suggestion that I be reconsidered for the ST at the end of my third year. (I say that in good spirit.)
The other thing that makes me associate Adam with Paul is his love of the local church and the Great Commission. One of the most passionate conversations that I've ever had about the Great Commission was with Adam on April 29th, 2007, where we talked about the biggest barriers to people going into missions. He made the issue so clear, asking, "Peter, why do you think that more students don't go on project? It's six weeks!" Answering his own question, he said, "It's the support raising. We'd double the number we send if they didn't need to raise support." His point was to say that if the Church wants to make a serious attempt at completing the Great Commission, she is going to need to cut the slack, live sacrificially, and give generously, just as the Macedonians did (2Co. 8:1-5). Adam really wants to see lost people come to faith. What an encouragement to see.
Adam is very able to identify problems and work on producing solutions. The ability to provide solutions is what I associate with wisdom. All of the professors at Carleton have numerous letters trailing after their names (e.g., Ph.D.) but in the thinking classes that I took (e.g., political geography, anthropology), none of them produced solutions to the problems they were stating. It would be discouraging for anyone who agreed with the professors on what our world's problems are. (This is not to say that I agreed with the survey of the problems that the profs would come to, but merely to say, that even though they were wrong in identifying problems, they didn't identify any possible solutions, though, that may have been in the providence of God.) So these men and women demonstrated zero wisdom (I'm not saying they had no wisdom) even though they may have been encyclopaedias of wisdom. Adam's not like that at all. He's always ready to provide a (remarkably quickly) well-thought out opinion. And, of course, he's usually right.
As unfair as it is, let me give brief lip service to Adam's well roundedness. He wasn't just good at studying or doing the missionary thing. He went to the gym regularly. He was regularly encouraging me in my faith and to go to the gym with him. He was a great friend. He provided great leadership to our movement as a whole. He blogged. He ate chicken wings (with his fingers!). He watched Youtube. He hung out with his non-Christian friends. This was a man who brought his Christian worldview into every aspect of his life, and he let his worldview shape, mold and determine the aspects of his life.
This year as Nathan led our ST and movement (his tribute's up next), a number of times he said, "Last year Adam was thinking...". That's definitely the legacy that this God given leader left behind.
--
Adam became the KSL of Carleton's chapter of Campus for Christ (note the change in name of the ministry) in his fourth and final year, the academic year of 2006-07. He is passionate about evangelism. He is passionate about preaching. He is passionate about sound doctrine. He is passionate about the local church. And he is passionate about the Great Commission. Adam provided the first stepping stones for me to really gain an interest, and love, for the local church. He discipled me in his final year, and at the same time, submitted to me as I led our Young Adults cell group at church. He graduated with a double major in English and Philosophy, and is currently serving the Great Commission in East Asia.
The biblical figure I most closely associate with Adam is Paul. Of Christ's Apostles, He only chose one educated man. It was Paul. Adam is without question, the smartest man I've ever met. He reads probably ten times faster than I can, and his rate of processing arguments is probably of comparable magnitude over my own ability. Last year I was always amazed at how quickly he was formulating hypotheses when we were studying texts of Scripture. He seemingly effortlessly would refute bad arguments. He isn't closed minded, so he's actually listening to people when they're stating their opinions. He also has the integrity to say what needs to be said. E.g., he was the one who opposed Parker's suggestion that I be reconsidered for the ST at the end of my third year. (I say that in good spirit.)
The other thing that makes me associate Adam with Paul is his love of the local church and the Great Commission. One of the most passionate conversations that I've ever had about the Great Commission was with Adam on April 29th, 2007, where we talked about the biggest barriers to people going into missions. He made the issue so clear, asking, "Peter, why do you think that more students don't go on project? It's six weeks!" Answering his own question, he said, "It's the support raising. We'd double the number we send if they didn't need to raise support." His point was to say that if the Church wants to make a serious attempt at completing the Great Commission, she is going to need to cut the slack, live sacrificially, and give generously, just as the Macedonians did (2Co. 8:1-5). Adam really wants to see lost people come to faith. What an encouragement to see.
Adam is very able to identify problems and work on producing solutions. The ability to provide solutions is what I associate with wisdom. All of the professors at Carleton have numerous letters trailing after their names (e.g., Ph.D.) but in the thinking classes that I took (e.g., political geography, anthropology), none of them produced solutions to the problems they were stating. It would be discouraging for anyone who agreed with the professors on what our world's problems are. (This is not to say that I agreed with the survey of the problems that the profs would come to, but merely to say, that even though they were wrong in identifying problems, they didn't identify any possible solutions, though, that may have been in the providence of God.) So these men and women demonstrated zero wisdom (I'm not saying they had no wisdom) even though they may have been encyclopaedias of wisdom. Adam's not like that at all. He's always ready to provide a (remarkably quickly) well-thought out opinion. And, of course, he's usually right.
As unfair as it is, let me give brief lip service to Adam's well roundedness. He wasn't just good at studying or doing the missionary thing. He went to the gym regularly. He was regularly encouraging me in my faith and to go to the gym with him. He was a great friend. He provided great leadership to our movement as a whole. He blogged. He ate chicken wings (with his fingers!). He watched Youtube. He hung out with his non-Christian friends. This was a man who brought his Christian worldview into every aspect of his life, and he let his worldview shape, mold and determine the aspects of his life.
This year as Nathan led our ST and movement (his tribute's up next), a number of times he said, "Last year Adam was thinking...". That's definitely the legacy that this God given leader left behind.
2 comments:
I'm inspired by your blog Pete! Speaking of which, I can hardly believe you HAVE one! Andrea sent me the link and now I'm hooked bro. ANyway I heartily agree with your praise of these men of God. Someone should write one up for you one of these days.
-Danny
I don't know if you'll check back, but I'm grateful for your words, Dan.
It's surprisingly fun blogging. Back in September (`07) I asked for prayer at YA because I knew that I wanted to start writing, just to get practice. It finally started up.
Post a Comment