Now marriage and family are inseparably connected. Where you see a married couple, normatively you should expect that either at home, or down the line, there will be children. Here are few resources that argue this: an article that Mohler has written on the subject, a two-part sermon by Piper that's half devoted to the subject (part 1 and part 2) and a short response that Piper gives to a question related to this subject. (In the comment section, could you let me know whether it's helpful for me to reference resources in my entries? Do you look at any of them? All of them? None? Let me know. Would it be more helpful if I only gave one instead of multiple, or would it be better to give a wide array of resources by men whom I agree with?)
I don't want to give the same arguments that Mohler and Piper give. But I'm going to make clear one of the arguments that Mohler alludes to. In his article he wrote, "Those who reject children want to have the joys of sex and marital companionship without the responsibilities of parenthood." The logic here is that marriage is tied to sex, and sex is tied to childbearing.
We know that God wanted us to enjoy eating because He made food delicious. He wants us to enjoy sex because He made it pleasurable. He gave man a heightened sex drive so that he would take initiative in starting his marital relationship. None of these are exegetical facts. It's just logical. God's not the Great Deceiver. He's sovereign, He's Creator and He has His purposes. I think that sexual intercourse's natural connection with conception when there is no intervention makes it obvious that if you're having sex, you should consider having children. (This is not to say that I think that birth control is wrong as long as it is non-abortifacient. I might write a post on the Pill at a later time, but for now, I refer you, again, to Dr. Mohler.)
0 comments:
Post a Comment